Friday Jumah Prayer
|Hadrat Salman Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu reported that the Messenger of Allah has said,
لا يغتسل رجل يوم الجمعة ، ويتطهر ما استطاع من طهر ، ويدهن من دهنه ، أو يمس من طيب بيته ثم يخرج ، فلا يفرق بين اثنين ، ثم يصلى ما كتب له ، ثم ينصت إذا تكلم الإمام ، إلا غفر له ما بينه وبين الجمعة الأخرى
Hadrat Abu Hurairah Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu reported that the Messenger of Allah has said,
إذا كان يوم الجمعة ، وقفت الملائكة على باب المسجد يكتبون الأول فالأول ، ومثل المهجر كمثل الذى يهدى بدنة ، ثم كالذى يهدى بقرة ، ثم كبشا ، ثم دجاجة ، ثم بيضة ، فإذا خرج الإمام طووا صحفهم ، ويستمعون الذكر
Hadrat Samurah ibn Jundab Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu reported that the Messenger of Allah has said,
من ترك الجمعة من غير عذر فليتصدق بدينار فإن لم يجد فبنصف دينار
Hadrat Samurah ibn Jundub Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu reported that the Messenger of Allah has said,
احضروا الذكر وادنوا من الإمام فإن الرجل لا يزال يتباعد حتى يؤخر فى الجنة وإن دخلها
Hadrat Ibn ‘Umar Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu reported that the Messenger of Allah has said,
إذا نعس أحدكم يوم الجمعة فليتحول من مجلسه ذلك
Hadrat Anas Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu reported that
إذا اشتد البرد بكر بالصلاة ، وإذا اشتد الحر أبرد بالصلاة ، يعنى الجمعة
1. All those who listen to the mu’azzin calling out the Adhan for the Friday prayers in front of the Imam, should not reply to his words. This is a more preventative ruling. [Fatawa-e-Radawiyyah]
It has been stated in al-Durr al-Mukhtar [Page 57]:
One should not reply with the tongue, to the words of the Adhan called in front of the imam, prior to the Khutba (sermon).
In Radd al-Muhtar Vol. 1 Page 575 it has been stated:
It is makruh (disliked) to reply to the (words of the) Adhan at such a time.
2. On hearing the Adhan for the Khutba, when the mu’azzin calls out the Blessed Name of the Holy Prophet, then it is best not to kiss ones thumbs at that time. The Durud Sharif (invoking blessings) on the Messenger of Allah should also be recited from the heart; not from the tongue, as remaining silent in this particular time is Fard (obligatory). This rule only applies to the adhan for the khutba, otherwise in the other adhans one should kiss their thumbs, place them on their eyes as this is Mustahab. [Fatawa-e-Radawiyyah]
In Radd al-Muhtar Vol. 1 Page 575, it has been stated:
The more favoured opinion is to invoke blessings (send durud) upon the Holy prophet from one’s heart (and to recite anything from the tongue).
3. To read the khutba in any language other than Arabic or to amalgamate another language with the khutba read in Arabic is disliked (makruh) and against the sunnat that has been transmitted from our pious predecessors. [Fatawa-e-Radawiyyah, Bahar-e-Shari’at]
4. Some people lift their hands in the time that is between the two khutbas delivered by the Imam. This should not be done, as it is necessary to remain silent throughout and in between the two khutbas. [Bahar-e-Shari’at – Vol. 1 Chapter 4 Page 90-91]
5. It is not permissible to establish the Friday Prayer in villages. However, if people do pray it, then one should not prevent them. [Fatawa-e-Radawiyyah]
6. Because the Friday Prayer is not allowed in the villages (and in some countries), the Zohar (Mid-Noon prayer) is still fard upon them, though they may have prayed the Friday Prayer. Hence, it is obligatory that one prays the 4 Rakahs fardh salaah for Zohar if one has prayed the Friday Prayer in villages or places where the Friday Prayer cannot be established due to reasons as explained by the Shari’ah.
From where should the Adhan for the Khutba be Called?
كان يؤذن بين يدى رسول الله -صلى الله عليه وسلم- إذا جلس على المنبر يوم الجمعة على باب المسجد وأبى بكر وعمر
From this Hadith we understand that it is Sunnah to call the Adhan from outside of the Masjid (Prayer Hall). The Adhan for the Khutbah during the blessed era of the Holy Prophet and his blessed vicegerents: Hadrat Abubakr and Hadrat ‘Umar was always called from outside of the Masjid. This is why the scholars have disallowed calling the adhan from inside the Masjid. [This has been stated in Fatawa-e-Qazi Khan Vol. 1 Page 78, Fatawa-e-’Alamgiri Vol. 1 Page 55.]
In al-Bahr al-Raiq it has been stated:
It is impermissible to call the Adhan from inside the Masjid. [Vol. 1 Page 268]
In Fath al-Qadir it has been stated:
The scholars of Jurisprudence have stated that the Adhan should not be given from inside the Masjid. [Vol. 1 Page 215]
In al-Tahtawi (hashiya on Maraqiy al-Falah) it has been stated:
It is makruh (disliked) to give the Adhan from inside the Masjid. This has also been stated in al-Qahastani. [Page 17]
Hence, the practice of calling the Adhan from inside the Masjid is incorrect. It is obligatory upon Muslims to leave what is wrong and abide by the rules of fiqh and Hadith.